Canine College offers the Canine Good Citizen Testing right in Holbrook, MA! The Canine Good Citizen(CGC) is a program that was established in 1989 by the American Kennel Club to promote responsible dog ownership. During testing the dog and a handler must partake in a 10-step test over half an hour. After passing the test, your dog then earns a CGC certificate resembling they are a reliable family member along with a trusted Canine Citizen. Does your dog have what it takes to be considered a Canine Good Citizen?
The Canine Good Citizen test includes:
Test 1: Greeting a friendly stranger
– This demonstrates that a dog will allow a stranger to approach the handler in a natural way and not become ill-mannered.
Test 2: Politely sitting while being pet
– This demonstrates that a dog will politely allow a stranger to pet them without its handler.
Test 3: Allows basic grooming
– This test demonstrates that a dog will allow anyone(usually a vet or friend) to groom or examine the dog without any major problems
Test 4: Walks on a loose leash as directed
-This demonstrates that a dog is under control when going out for a walk
Test 5: Politely moves through a crowd
– This test demonstrates that a dog can handle being in public places with reasonable pedestrian traffic.
Test 6: Respond to “sit”, “down” and “stay in place “commands
– This is a basic test that demonstrates a dog is trained and properly responds to a handlers command to sit, lay down, and remain in place.
Test 7: Coming when called
– This is another simple test which just demonstrates that a dog comes when called by the handler.
Test 8: Positive reaction around other dogs
– This test is important as it demonstrates a dog behaves well around other dogs.
Test 9: Appropriate reactions to distractions
– Distractions are common, this test demonstrates a dog is confident and at ease when faced with one.
Test 10: Good manners when left with a trusted person
– Most likely you will need to leave your dog with a trusted person at times. This test demonstrates a dog still remains in good behavior when left with another person.
Tests must be performed on a leash. Unfortunately handlers may not use any treats or toys to get a dog to do something during the test. All items must be completed to the desired level or the team fails.
Call Canine College today if you’re interested in this amazing program! TEL: 781-767-3908