The Fall is always a season filled with traditions and festive activities. One of the most popular among families and children, probably being Halloween. For most, this is a fun holiday with sweet treats and silly costumes. However, it’s important to keep in mind that the holiday isn’t enjoyed the same by everyone, AKA your furry friends. With so many sweet treats around the house at this time, it’s important to remember that they can be quite harmful to your dog and pets. Even if you choose to not keep these harmful sweets in your house, on Halloween night when your child comes home and dumps out their big bag of candy from trick or treating, there’s a good chance they may have inherited some of these goodies from the neighbors’ house. Some of these Halloween candies are among the most dangerous foods for dogs to consume. Here’s a guide to help identify, and keep your dog safe from the treats that will inevitably be around the house in a few weeks.

Chocolate Bars

It is fairly well known that chocolate is a toxic food for dogs. Chocolate contains theobromine, which is toxic in high doses and can lead to symptoms such as vomited and diarrhea.In more severe cases it can also cause excitation and seizures. There may also be GI obstruction of they consume an excess amount, or the paper wrapper can cause obstruction and bloat, or even a twisting of the stomach which could be life-threatening. So to be safe, keep all chocolate candy bars out of your dog’s reach this Halloween season.

Chocolate Covered Raisins

In addition to the dangers the chocolate poses, the added raisin is a hazardous combo to your dog. The raisins can cause renal failure in dogs, making them a highly dangerous treat.

Candy Corn

Candy Corn is often easily accessible to our dogs, left out in bowls on low coffee tables for them to reach. It is a super sweet candy, almost purely sugar. Anything high in sugar may result in GI problems for your dog, such as vomiting or diarrhea.

Hard Candy and Lollipops

In addition to the high sugar content, hard candies and lollipops pose a choking hazard to dogs. The stick of the lollipop or the candy itself can quickly become lodged in their throat. Also, even if they’re labeled sugar-free, they might contain xylitol, which can have fatal consequences for dogs. This can cause a dangerous drop in blood sugar or liver failure.

Peanut Butter Cups

Since most dogs love peanut butter, it makes sense that they’re going to be naturally attracted to Reese’s peanut butter cups. However, as we know, since the chocolate is harmful to dogs, it’s best to keep them away. 

Contact Canine College

While Halloween is a sweet treat for us and our kids, it’s important to remember just how harmful these candies can be to our dogs. Try making an alternative, pet-friendly sweet treat that they can enjoy instead! For more information on how to keep your dog safe and healthy during the holidays, contact the experts and Canine College!

Call Now To Reserve!
WP Like Button Plugin by Free WordPress Templates